One does not think too much about bucket lists when one is young. You’re too busy rushing forward to be concerned about the things you’re not doing. At least for me, during my first five decades I was full steam ahead, go-go-go, to-do list in hand busily checking off items and then quickly moving on to the next adventure. Hey, I’m a Virgo, of course I had a to-do list: don’t judge.
Something started changing the closer I got to Club 50 status. There’s been a small yet perceivable shift in perspective. I’ve found myself asking this question quite a bit lately: To where am I sprinting? Hmm…
Image provided courtesy of http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=75114&picture=red-fire-bucket-filled-with-water
In celebration of my upcoming 51st birthday this month, and to remind myself to slow down – change the sprint to a stroll – I’ve put some thought into filling my bucket with 51 ideas. Some of these thoughts are tangible and specific goals, others are a bit more philosophical. All represent this crazy southern Irish gal’s glance back over her shoulder for a little inspiration.
In no particular order, I would like to:
- Master the art of a decent pie crust. This one is kinda embarrassing – as a good southern gal I should have this locked up.
- Grow my hair out one more time.
- Hold my grandchild. No pressure Jimmy, none whatsoever…
- Be published by Huffington Post. I think this post would work nicely, don’t you? HuffPost50, HuffPostWomen, anyone, anyone?
- Splash in a fountain in Italy.
- Meet a U.S. President #Nerdalert.
- Sit in the gallery during a State of the Union address. #Supernerdalert.
- Talk less/listen more.
- Host a party for my high school buddies, but not a “reunion.” Just a good ‘ol fashioned throw down. TLHS Class of 1981, you in?
- Learn to play golf. I’ve got the left-handed clubs all ready to go.
- Score tickets to a Prince concert – must figure out how to get backstage.
- Meet George Clooney.
**Full disclosure – this #12 has been in the bucket a long time…
- Visit my family more often.
- Dedicate some significant time to yoga.
- Finish my genealogy research. I currently have a full list of my great-great grandparents, and I can follow some lineage back to the 1500s. But I would like to dig deep to discover more family stories.
- Find hidden treasures along the “World’s Longest Yard Sale.” Occurs first week of August each year. Would very much like to do this with my Dad. http://www.127sale.com/
- Sip real French champagne – in France.
Image courtesy of http://pixabay.com/en/cherry-hand-handheld-matina-red-88403/
I’m on the verge of having my good southern girl card revoked if I don’t give #18 some sincere attention.
- Appreciate the Hubs more – Thanks Hon.
- Attend an auction. Any kind of auction. Well, except a livestock auction; I really don’t need to acquire cattle.
- Learn to use a power saw. I know, tempting fate here.
- Volunteer more. Mom and Jimmy: you’re my inspiration for this one.
- Be a seat filler at the Academy Awards. This is not an urban myth: http://www.seeing-stars.com/ShowBiz/SeatFillers.shtml
- Honor my size 11 feet – they make me, me. Left-handed, green eyed, it’s all good.
- Learn all the words to “Hook” by Blues Traveler. For inspiration, watch this EPIC lip sync by Emma Stone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLBSoC_2IY8
I may be close on #26. Practice, practice, practice…
- Converse in sign language.
- Publish Magic Fishing Panties. Hello, publishers? Call me. 1-800-havefulldraft.
- Not be such a Virgo/make peace with being a Virgo.
- Promote #Embracethecougar as a national movement.
- Remember that when in doubt, give ’em the benefit of the doubt.
- See the Aurora Borealis.
- Be kinder, everyone carries a bag of rocks.
- Give up quest to understand men, they are truly a completely different species. Don’t think so – I give you Exhibit A: farting.
- Laugh at all the wrong parts of a movie. Oh, wait, I can definitely mark this one off my list.
- Write one great, memorable line of dialogue.
- Get serious about flossing.
- Be unpredictable.
- Build a sandcastle with a 5 year old.
Image courtesy of http://www.gratisography.com/
- Learn to drive stick.
- Beat Hobbit at Words With Friends. Oh, YOU know…
- Find the perfect mascara – and then buy cases of it so when it’s discontinued I’m not left high and dry.
- Visit Niagara Falls – Canadian side. Bonus: stay in the kitschiest honeymoon suite possible. Heart-shaped bed kind of kitschy.
- Leave a kick-ass epitaph.
- Start a national dialogue about “life on the balance beam.” Maybe women don’t want to “lean in” and be the boss, maybe what we want is to be happy and have a balanced life. Sorry Sheryl.
- Write in wet cement.
- Have good reason to throw a drink in someone’s face. Or, perhaps have a drink thrown in my face, for good reason. It just seems so dramatic!
- Learn to read tarot cards.
- Do an unassisted pull-up.
I’ve shown you mine, now you show me yours – what’s in your bucket?
And a very Happy Birthday to all my fellow Virgos out there.