Have you ever played the game “Twenty Questions?” Well, I recently had the fun experience of playing a version of this game with Pandora (Dora) Poikilos, at Orangeberry Book Tours. We had a great time discussing all kinds of random topics. Originally posted at http://www.orangeberrybooktours.com/2012/07/author-interview-kimberly-dalferes.html#.T_WkcBt99Jg.facebook, Dora gave me permission to re-post here today.
By the way, the Orangeberry Summer Splash Book Tour begins next week (August 1). Be on the lookout for tour posts.
1. If you could invite any 5 people to dinner who would you choose?
Janet Reno, Erma Bombeck, Katherine Hepburn, Chelsey Handler, and Mae West (did you know that Mae West was a playwright? Title of her first play: “Sex” – seriously!). I would serve fabulous, decadent desserts and lots of wine.
2. If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?
1) Sun block
3) My husband
Well, my husband’s not exactly a thing, so I guess the third thing would have to be a solar powered radio. Wait, would the radio work? Scratch the radio; instead I would bring “Surviving On A Desert Island for Dummies.”
3. What is one book everyone should read?
“Surviving On A Desert Island for Dummies”
4. If you were a superhero what would your name be?
Lime Kimba; my superpower would be killer margaritas.
5. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
“Cake Batter” from Cold Stone Creamery. It’s like frozen crack.
6. One food you would never eat?
Eggs; can’t stand them. Not allergic, just don’t like the taste.
7. Pet Peeves?
I’m really not good with passive/aggressiveness. Also, no cleaning your ears in public; that’s just gross.
8. Skittles or M&Ms?
PULEEZE; I’m a girl, chocolate, hello?! M&Ms. Question should be plain or peanut. Discuss.
9. Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book.
10. Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?
I’m working on the sequel to “I Was In Love With a Short Man Once.” Tentative title: “Reflections From the Middle Aged Cheap Seats.”
11. What inspired you to want to become a writer?
I came to be a writer, in part, because of my nana’s apple pie recipe. Nana made the best apple pies, but she never wrote down the recipe. Now she’s gone and no one in the family has been able to recreate her masterpiece. I came to realize that if I want my side of any story to be remembered, I better put it in writing.
12. Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.
I received a letter from my high school guidance counselor. She had read my book and loved it. Reconnecting with her after thirty years was remarkable.
13. What is your dream cast for your book?
What a fun question! Since “I Was In Love With a Short Man Once” is an essay collection that is written in a memoir style, I think Allison Janney would be a perfect fit to play me. As for the other people in my life who are featured in my book, no way am I going to guess who should be cast to play them – NO ONE would be happy with me. Sorry, can’t risk the fall out.
14. What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?
If possible, write for yourself. I know it is a bit of a cliché, but if it’s an important subject for you, the story will write itself. Oh, and secure yourself a good copyeditor – they are worth their weight in gold.
15. What is your favorite Quote?
Erma Bombeck is my personal hero. Here are her words to live and write by: “Hook ’em with the lead. Hold ’em with laughter. Exit with a quip they won’t forget.”
16. If you were a super hero what would your kryptonite be?
Eggs. Yuck!!! Oh, and any super hero rescue that would require reading a map.
17. What do you do in your free time?
I am a crazed estate sale addict. Drives my husband nuts – he equates it to scavenging through dead people’s trash. I love the hunt for a bargain and a treasure.
18. What TV show/movie/book do you watch/read that you’d be embarrassed to admit?
I LOVE “White Trash Television.” Well, except the show “Hoarders”; that show is just exploiting mental illness and it’s disturbing. However, I’ll watch any show that involves men sticking their arms down in watery holes to catch monster catfish or people dumpster diving for treasures.
19. Finish the sentence- one book I wish I had written is….
“Pride and Prejudice.” What woman doesn’t wish she was Elizabeth Bennett? And don’t even get me started on Mr. Darcy…
20. Favorite places to travel?
Every year our family goes fishing in Alaska. Alaska in the summer is amazingly beautiful. I also love the people of Alaska; they are for the most part very genuine. With both the land the people, what you see is what you get.
21. (BONUS QUESTION) Favorite music?
70’s/80’s big hair bands: Styx, Foreigner, Bon Jovi, and Van Halen.