This past month my dog Taz turned eleven years old. He’s beginning to slow down just a bit – well, ain’t we all? God love ‘em, he still likes to chase the squirrels and visit with all the neighbors. He’s a happy and health pound mutt for sure; even as he heads toward eighty in dog years.
For those of you who have by chance read my book, you know that the relationship between Taz and me has not always been one of full love and mutual admiration. We have survived, sometimes barely, incidences of peeing on the Christmas tree or eating the smoked salmon off the kitchen counter. I’m still not fully over the whole “ate my wedding bouquet” episode.
However, I have come to love and appreciate life with Taz; even the puppy mishaps and the stubborn “I’m not going out in the snow” tugs-of-war. The universe does not always offer advice and motivation through a dramatic burning bush or a spectacular show of nature’s power. Sometimes, if you really pay attention, quiet little lessons will sneak into your thoughts in the most interesting ways.
Here are just a few of my favorite Taz-induced insights; let’s call them Tazisms:
- A sad puppy face can get you out of a lot of trouble.
- A little nap in a sunny spot is always a good solution.
- Almost everything tastes better with just a smidge of peanut butter.
- No matter how old you get, you still wanna run with the pack every once in awhile.
- A cheerful little wag of your tail often gets you what you want.
- Love unconditionally; it is contagious.
- It’s rarely fun to be stuck in the doghouse.
- Just because you mark your territory doesn’t mean it’s actually yours.
- Be someone’s very best and most loyal friend.
Have you realized an “aha” moment or a fun insight from a canine (or feline; yes, I know you cat lovers are out there) best friend? I would love to hear about some of the Tazisms that you’ve experienced.
Gotta go; I promised the “Tasmanian devil” a trip to the dog park.
**PS: For every comment to this post, we will donate $1 to the Fairfax County Animal Shelter Trust Fund**